Monday, December 24, 2007

Knives Don't Have Your Back

If you knew this, then you must have heard Emily Haines' solo record.



By now this album's been out for 2 years but I just re-listened to it again after sometime. It's a haunting album and I can't seem to stop listening to it as of late.

“When I was a little kid…I would creep downstairs to the piano and write rudimentary songs about imaginary places... I hated the idea of anybody hearing me. Everywhere I’ve lived while working with Metric, I’ve written songs on the piano and played them for no one. On the advice of a friend, I decided I’d better start recording them before they were forgotten. Four meandering years later I ended up with this collection of songs featuring a few of my favorite people, a group I call The Soft Skeleton.” - Emily Haines



Such a great album that I feel I need to make a post about it. It seems as though I never really appreciated it until now.

It is almost reminiscent of a Feist record, but imagine much darker. It has an aura about it that very few albums I've heard have - the only one I can think of is Thom Yorke's The Eraser.

This one's definitely a classic.

1 comment:

Jeffery said...

That is so interesting, because I've done the same thing. I've had the album, and when I first bought it, I gave it a few spins, quality work, then I shuffled it away, and now, two years later, I am starting to truly understand the depth in the lyrics - I am not sure if it's because I'm finally reaching more adult problems that Emily speaks of in the lyrics or what... But it's refreshing.