Sunday, December 16, 2007

8 ½

I know, I've been riding Italy lately, and really, it's not on purpose. I don't mean for A Blog Odyssey to seem like it's 'viva italia' or something but let's face it, Italy has got it going on. Don't let me get into the spaghetti I ate tonight...

After years, I finally watched Fredrico Fellini's 1963 film
8½. It is considered by film critics and fans alike, to be one of the best films ever made - it is found in numerous 'top ten lists' and the British Film Institute ranked it the 3rd best film of all time. After seeing 8½, I definitely consider it in my top three.

It is filmed in black and white and revolves around an Italian film director, Guido Anselmi (played by a very cool, Marcello Mastroianni) who is supposed to be directing a science fiction film, but has lost interest amid artistic and marital difficulties. Guido experiences a fragmented reality with flashbacks and dreams interwoven with reality. A true artist, I'd say. He is constantly surrounded by the most beautiful actresses who all want a part in his next film, and at the same time, dealing with the producers. For Fellini, the film is semi-autobiographical as he also was suffering from director's block while making the film. He got past this and is considered one of the most influential directors of the 20th century.

For a movie made in 1963, it was a relatively fast-paced and really captured my interest. It is a film about making a film essentially, and Fellini really captures the creative process and the struggle a director must go through, coupled with the struggles of real life and relationships. There are issues that are time specific, such as the encroaching effects of modernization seen in mid-20th century Italy, but others are timeless such as finding true personal happiness in a difficult, disjointed life.

Great film, kudos to J6 for tipping me on this one...too bad it took me years to watch it.

No comments: