Sunday, December 30, 2007

Diggable in 2007: Part Deux

Warren Ellis

Warren Ellis is a British-born author and writes novels, comics and for television. He is known for his sociocultural commentary, covering transhumanist themes (most notably nanotechnology and human enhancement).


I met him a few years back but didn't really think much of it. But this year, I discovered his work and was blown away. It's imaginative, with a scientific touch, giving it a sense of realism. With his work in Planetary, my whole idea of the world changed - I mean, I realize this is fiction, but he got me seriously asking, "What if?" Planetary took the existing world and added a twist to it.

The thing I enjoy about Warren Ellis' comic work is the original ideas and outlooks he gives to the characters. He has unique ideas for powers as well - The Authority's Jack Hawksmoor ("King of Cities") is attached to the nervous system of cities and is powered by the living city (pretty nuts I'd say). It's very much science fiction, but explains it with science fact with lots of multi-dimensions and so on. I think if he were to write for Heroes or other already established comics, he would reinvent them. His next work is going to be on Astonishing X-Men and with all the secondary mutations going on, I'm interested to see how he will change that book.


CN Tower



This past summer, the CN Tower now comes in a few new flavours! The addition of the lights on Toronto's tallest free standing building (notice how I said 'Toronto's'?) was the best idea from the City in a while. I thought it was just going to be a feature of LuminaTO this year, but it kept going. Such a terrific idea and breathes new life into the Tower. The night skyline looks so much better now with Toronto's symbol being accentuated and stands out.


Sophomore Albums

By far, the best album of the year belongs to Feist. Before the first track was over, I already declared The Reminder better than her debut. I was right about that. It is non stop goodness from top to bottom. There weren't too many records this year that stood out like this one.



Arcade Fire also came out with their follow up to their first release this year with Neon Bible. It was a great album, although some may argue the first was a bit more memorable. All the songs were solid and musically amazing. It was a strong follow up for sure.

That is the hard part about coming out with a breakthrough record is following it up. Both albums do that with flying colours.


John Cassaday

I enjoy comic book art, that's no secret. I think they are the best artists on the planet as they have this ability to express dynamic motion through story telling and do it on such a regular basis. I have to admit, subconsciously, I've been following one artist this year and that is John Cassaday. He c0-created Planetary with Warren Ellis and through that book you can see his style evolving into the refined, close to a real photo style it is now. He also did work on Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men, and boy can he draw the X-Men. His art mixed with Laura Depuy's colouring is the recipe for perfection here. Just pick up his work and you will see what I mean. Stunning realism using few lines, but capturing realistic proportions. Top artist of the year for sure.




Skinny Ties


What more can I say? They got me through 2007.


Portugese Egg Tart

It is a traditional Portuguese pastry that consists of custard in a crème brûlée-like consistency caramelized fashion in a puff pastry case. Isabel told me about them after her trip to HK (I think they are common in Macau). Probably the best tasting thing I've ever put in my mouth. They can be found in cafes in Little Italy along College Street.

1 comment:

Isabel said...

haha i was just talking about portugese egg tarts... like, an hour ago. im at my sisters house! how are yoooo