Saturday, December 29, 2007

Diggable in 2007: Part 1

With Christmas over, now is the most appropriate time to talk about 2007. As much as I like year end lists that are popping up in all websites and magazines, I'm not going to give that to you. Here are just a few things I dug in '07.

Sonic Youth


Took me years to even think of listening to this band - considering they've been rocking out since '81 - but through curiosity and torrent sites, I got their discography and they have been part of my playlist ever since. They are an alternative rock band out of New York and considering how long they've been together, their sound really defines the alternative era. They got me after I listened to their 2006 release, Rather Ripped (a killer album) and followed it up by releasing a B-sides record, The Destroyed Room. But consider this: Sonic Youth has recorded dozens of albums and EPs in their 26 years of existance and are still going strong! They have not slowed down and will not release a Greatest Hits record. They are very experimental so keep that in mind when you listen to them. They are willing to express themselves through their music and take risks and have continued to do so for decades. I haven't had a favorite band for a while, but Sonic Youth did it for me. It seems that I really dig the New York rock scene more and more as I continue to discover it.

Last.fm - The Social Music Revolution

Was also meaning to get to this for a while, I finally did in '07. It's a great way of tracking the music you listen to and for all your friends to see as well. LastFM provides a good music community as you can see who has similar tastes as you and who's going to what show, etc. It's interesting to see who, what and how often you listen to whoever, and what other bands sound like the ones you like. 2007 was the year for musical discoveries for me, with the help of torrents and LastFM. I don't really use it anymore, but when I did, it was an obsession. Now, all these sort of features have been consolidated into Facebook so what's the point of going to another website. I wonder if usage has diminished because of the Facebook applications...hmm

http://www.last.fm/


WildStorm
WildStorm Productions is an imprint publishing company and studio for DC Comics. Titles in this imprint are, for the most part creator-owned and serves as a place where an artist and writer are free to flex their creative muscle by creating their own stories without having to conform to the limitations when working for the big studios, ie. Marvel or DC. They tell the stories they want to tell.


The result: more imaginative, mature stories, with intelligent writing and stunning artwork.


Titles in this imprint include Ellis and Cassaday's Planetary and Vaughn and Harris' Ex Machina (as previously blogged about, fellow readers!). WildStorm is comics for the new millenium. This is the future of comics with a less superhero-y feel and brilliant stories. After reading various titles found in this imprint, I was embarrassed I ever even read superhero comics from Marvel and DC. I guess this is me growing up... well I mean I'm still reading comics but... Ah never mind! WildStorm has definitely changed comics for me. Sometimes, it takes the creator owned titles to do something bold to get this change rolling.




Wikipedia

Really now, what would I do without this website? What would any of us do? It's information at your fingertips. I've learned so much from Wikipedia this year and it was a great thing to have for long days at the office. If you ever question, or wonder ANYTHING, just go to Wikipedia and your itch will be scratched.

http://www.wikipedia.org/


Gap Morrisons


Quite frankly, the best jean out there. It's a slim, straight fit jean and a lot nicer looking than the skinny fit that is o-so popular. They give a clean, fitted look, not too tight and not too baggy. Their colours are great too with a solid colour, no fading, although they have faded pairs as well. It is a versitile jean as it has many different washes, giving them a different look, but with the same fit. If you are into raw denim (or that appears to be raw), the Morrisons give you that look for an affordable price.

No comments: