Sunday, December 23, 2007

Ex Machina

I have just completed volumes 1 to 4 of Brian K Vaughn and Tony Harris' creator-owned title, Ex Machina and let me just say, quite honestly, it is the best comic I've ever read... Maybe even the best thing I've ever read. Huge statement, I know, but in 4 volumes (out of 6 so far), I am convinced.

The series details the life of Mitchell Hundred, who happened to be the world's first and only superhero, The Great Machine. He had mysteriously contracted the power to converse with machines (a mystery that is still unfolding in the story). In the wake of his actions on 9/11 - saves one tower - he gives up his disguise as the Great Machine and wants to make a real difference and is elected Mayor of New York City. The story is set during Hundred's term in office, and interweaved with flashbacks to his past as the Great Machine and throughout different stages of his life – a very interesting thing to do to a character which really gives him depth. The series explores both the political situations Hundred finds himself in, and the mysteries surrounding his superpowers.


The thing I can’t get over is that Mitchell is a REAL dude. I can't stress that enough. All the characters are written the way people talk (including the swears). No other character you have encountered is as real as him and the cast of characters in the book. I don’t know how Vaughn does it, but these characters he’s created live and breathe off the page. I haven’t even begun talking about Tony Harris’ art - I'm a big art guy and all I've been doing is gushing about the writing. Do I even need to say anything? His art speaks for itself. The expressions he can convey are out of this world and really add to the realism of the cast of characters. It has a fairly good sized cast and I am amazed by the depth of each character and how they continuously develop.


It is a very well thought out story and I love how all the characters are utilized and no one gets short-changed, even when the stories go from the real, political issues (so far, they've dealt with gay marriage, racism, censorship and anti-war), to Mitchell's other issues involving the mystery of his powers or the need for him to solve a crime. It might seem overly political at first glance, but really, it deals with relevant issues everyone is familiar with and even if you politically oblivious, it will not go over your head. With that said, it still remains smart and has numerous non-political elements (more so than political) which you can be wrapped up in and enjoy. It is a very human story set in a very real world where superheroes are only found in comic books (until Mitchell, of course).


I don't think what I can write can give Vaughn and Harris' work any justice. It is the best written work I've encountered in years and is another book adding to the reason why I don't like superhero comics anymore. The reason I like the comic book medium is that it is smart, way ahead of any other medium in terms of storytelling, ideas and depth it can get into. Ex Machina is a perfect example of what it can accomplish.


Best book in comics. By far. I guess this means I should give Vaughn's Y: The Last Man another shot. One book at a time. I'll let you know how that goes.

Holler at JE for tipping me on this one. When he said Mitchell was the best character in comics, he was right.

2 comments:

Isabel said...

"My name is Neil, I like comics"

I updated my blog too!

the_sounder said...

woo! finally!